Celexa stops a development of depression and improves a mental health of a patient. The drug is based on an active ingredient Citalopram.
As many antidepressants, Celexa interacts with neurotransmitters in the brain. Citalopram selectively binds to serotonin receptors and blocks a reuptake of this ingredient. The increase of serotonin in the brain improves a mental health and reduces the depression symptoms.
Almost all antidepressants have similar mechanism of the action, and therefore it is necessary to take into account its unique peculiarities during selecting a drug for the depression treatment. For instance, the use of this drug does not cause a sedative effect. In addition, most patients did not put on weight during the use of Celexa. But a choice of the medicine depends not only on its pharmacological characteristics. It is important to know a type of depression and having relevant diseases.
The action of Celexa is rather small. The drug is effective in the treatment of depression of various etiology and structure, obsessive-compulsive disorders and panic disorders. For example, the drug is ineffective during anxious disorders or during severe panic attacks.
Celexa starts working from the first day of the application. But as the changes of the biochemical processes take a long time, the improvement of the depression symptoms may be noticed in 2-3 weeks. Therefore, be ready for a long-term treatment while taking Celexa.
Celexa pills are taken at any time, regardless of meals. The treatment begins with 20 mg per day. In case of a good tolerance, a dose may be gradually increased. At first, the dose of Celexa is increased up to 40 mg per day, and in 2 weeks – up to 60 mg.
Both a manufacturer of Celexa, and qualified doctors do not recommend to take more than 60 mg per day. The increase of the dose may cause negative and even dangerous side effects.
- Celexa may be used with other antidepressants but these drugs should belong to different groups. For instance, tricyclic antidepressants or noradrenaline and dopamine reuptake inhibitors
- The use of Celexa with serotonin reuptake inhibitors or MAO inhibitors is contraindicated
- In case of any manifestations of the maniac activity or suicidal thoughts, it is necessary to lower a dose of Celexa or stop the treatment
- Celexa is taken only by patients over 16 years old to treat depression. Pregnant women are not recommended to take this antidepressant
- Patients with epilepsy or organic affections of the brain should refuse from the use of the drug
An overdose with Celexa is accompanied by the following symptoms: drowsiness, articulation disorders, coma, large seizures, increased sweating, and sinus tachycardia. As soon as you noticed one or several overdose symptoms, go to a doctor. A stomach lavage should be done right away, and the further procedures should be controlled by a doctor depending on a patient’s condition.