Inderal influences on β1 and β2 adrenoceptors, so that it is widely used in the cardiology. The drug is prescribed to maintain a normal function of the cardiovascular system. It lowers the blood pressure, regulates a heart beat, reduces pain in heart (caused by the high load on myocardium), and inhibits the symptoms of angina.
Propranolol is responsible for the pharmacological action. The ingredient controls the symptoms of the cardiovascular diseases. Taking Inderal, do not expect a quick effect but it helps to increase the quality of life and reduce death rate in people with chronic cardiovascular diseases.
Inderal may be used during various diseases including ischemic heart disease, heartbeat disorder, hypertonic disease, tachycardia, atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter.
One of the advantages of the drug is no resistance. The efficiency of Inderal is not decreased even during a long-term maintaining therapy, and a working dose is not changed.
Inderal should be taken 2-3 times per day, with the interval of 8 hours. The frequency of the use and a dose depends on type of the cardiovascular disease. But it is medically proved that the use of the drug 3-4 times per day provides a stable effect than taking the drug two times. Therefore it is better to begin the treatment under doctor’s control and find an optimal scheme of the treatment.
The treatment is usually started from a dose of 20 mg 3 times per day. If the treatment is not effective, a dose is gradually increased by 40 mg per week. An optimal dose is 360-480 mg of Inderal per day. A fast therapeutic effect is achieved without side effects. But as soon as the state is improved, a dose is decreased.
The drug is taken till it shows good results. As soon as Inderal stops working, the medicine should be replaced.
- Patients with diseases of liver should lower a daily dose of Inderal
- Patients with pancreatic diabetes should control the sugar level in the blood during the treatment (once in 2-3 weeks)
- A hypotensive action of Inderal is increased during its combination with other hypotensive drugs. In order to prevent a development of the arterial hypotension, it is necessary to adjust a dose of medicines during the combined treatment
- In case of the appeared light bradycardia, continue taking the drug. But if bradycardia is severe, a dose is reduced
- The use of Inderal is contraindicated during bronchial asthma, patients with bronchospasms, and disorder of the arterial blood flow
- Do not take the drug during pregnancy because it may cause a spontaneous uterus involution.
In case of the overdose with Inderal (as well as during the overdose with all b-adrenoceptor blocking agents), a patient has intensive arterial hypotension, bradycardia, fatigue, and coma. Seek for a medical aid during these symptoms. It is also necessary to use b-adrenoceptor agonists intravenously (slowly).