Paxil is one of the strongest serotonin reuptake inhibitors. There are no drugs which could increase the level of serotonin this way as Paxil.
Paroxetine is an active ingredient. This ingredient gives a quick therapeutic effect. The symptoms of anxiety and agitation within several days, and the depression symptoms are improved in a week of the treatment.
Paxil may be taken during a many psychological disorders:
- Severe depressive disorders
- Social phobia
- Panic attacks
- Generalized anxiety
- Insomnia and others
Using Paxil reduces the anxious symptoms and removes a psychological tension. A regular use of Paxil favors the increase of the brain activity, improves emotional self-control, memory, and attention.
Unlike many antidepressants, Paxil does not provide a negative influence on the work of the cardiovascular system and does not increase the blood pressure. A long-term treatment does not cause a development of the narcotic or medical addiction. The important rule is to keep to an optimal dosing.
Paxil pills should be used once, in the morning during or after meals.
- An initial therapeutic dose of the antidepressant of Paxil for adults is 20 mg per day
- An initial therapeutic dose of the antidepressant of Paxil for children at the age of 7 to 17 is 10 mg
If there is a need to increase a therapeutic effect and a patient does not have side effects, a dose may be gradually increased. For adults, the maximal daily dose is 80 mg, teenagers under 17 years old take 40 mg.
Do not increase a dose more than 10 mg per week. In case of the more intensive increase of the dose, the side effects may appear.
Some patients cannot take the entire daily dose at once. It may be divided into 2 times. some part is taken in the morning, and another one is taken in the afternoon. Do not take the pills before going to bed.
- The use of Paxil during pregnancy increases a risk of the disease development in children. Therefore, if pregnancy occurred during the treatment, stop taking the pills
- There is a high risk within the first two weeks that a patient may have suicidal thoughts. Everybody who is taking the drug may have suicidal thoughts. Therefore, a patient should be controlled within the first two weeks
- There are contraindications when the use of Paxil is prohibited: maniac states, alcohol/narcotic intoxications, renal and hepatic failure
- If a patient is under 16 years old, the medicine is not used
The most frequent symptoms of the overdose with Paxil include sleepiness, coma, nausea, shivering, tachycardia, confusion, vomiting, and drowsiness. These symptoms may be soft or severe. But in any case, it is necessary to do a stomach lavage and see a doctor.
An overdose may be very dangerous because a development of the serotonin syndrome causes broad pathological changes in the functioning of many organs.