Revia lowers the effect of opioid analgesics and relieves a withdrawal syndrome during the treatment of the narcotic addiction. The drug has Naltrexone. This ingredient has several important mechanisms of the action in terms of medicine:
- The first one: a reduction of opioid analgesic effect (analgesic, anti-diarrhea, anti-coughing)
- The second one: elimination of the opioid side effects
- The third one: it binds to the opioid receptors and blocks the effects of endorphins in patients with alcohol addiction
In other words, the drug completely blocks a feeling of satisfaction from the use of the narcotic products or alcohol, and relieves a withdrawal syndrome.
Using Revia completely removes the withdrawal syndrome symptoms: withdrawals, psychological discomfort, physiological discomfort, craving for dangerous products, and others.
To increase the efficiency, Revia has another effect. In case of the use of the high doses, the interaction of Naltrexone with opioid or alcohol causes a production of histamine. Histamine is a mediator of the allergic reaction, and a patient has negative symptoms such as skin itching, urticaria, edema, shortness of breath, and others. These symptoms may be severe and cause a production of a reflex. And next time, a desire to take drugs will be inhibited on the subconscious level because the use of alcohol or narcotic ingredients will be associated with severe side effects.
Before taking Revia, it is necessary to completely refuse from the consumption of narcotic ingredients or opioids. At least 7-9 days should pass after quitting bad habits, and this way, the body will clean itself from the harmful ingredients. The urine test will confirm it.
At first, it is necessary to take Revia under doctor’s supervision. 50 mg of Revia is taken. If the narcotic ingredients are left in the body, the side effects will appear within 3-4 hours. If the side effects did not appear within this period, a patient is given 50 mg of Revia again. A patient may go home in 2-3 hours.
A standard daily dose is 50 mg per day to treat narcotic/alcohol addiction. The pills are taken once per day – in the morning before or after breakfast. A period of the treatment depends on the body reaction to the treatment. Revia is usually taken for 3 months.
- If an allergic reaction appeared within 3-4 hours after the use of the first dose of Revia, it is necessary to have a symptomatic therapy and wait for several days till the body will clean itself from the narcotic ingredients
- The drug is not prescribed during acute narcotic abstinence. Intoxication usually happens because of the overdose with drugs, and in combination with Revia they will give a severe side effect
- In case of the severe diseases of liver, dysfunctions of kidneys and severe cardiovascular diseases, patients under 18 years old, the use of Revia is not recommended
The overdose symptoms of Revia are also dangerous as well as the side effects during the interaction of Naltrexone with opioids. The common symptoms of the overdose are hyper-salivation, depression, decreased activity, tremor, convulsions (including clonic-tonic), respiratory depression, coma, and heart failure. Go to a doctor if the first signs of the overdose appeared.