Soma reduces muscle tone, relieves pain during severe muscle cramps and helps to relax muscles during trauma or diagnostic, medical procedures.
Carisoprodol is an active ingredient of the drug. The ingredient is a muscle relaxant and has a light pain-relieving action. A relaxation of the muscle tissue happens by means of the action of the active ingredients on the natural physiological processes. The muscle spasm usually happens because of the increased frequency of the electric discharges in the neurons of the nervous system. Due to these discharges, an impulse goes to the muscle tissue, and it is constricted but not relaxed.
An initiating factor of the muscle contraction may be trauma, bruise, overstrain, prolonged physical activity, organic diseases of the brain, affection of the central nervous system, and others.
Soma reduces a frequency of the electric impulses, so that a muscle tissue does not receive signals and is relaxed. At the same time, tonicity and pain may be kept even after partial relaxation of the muscle tissue. Soma is prescribed in order to remove physiological and psychological discomfort.
Every tablet of Soma contains 350 mg of the active ingredient Carisoprodol. The action of this ingredient is kept within 6-7 hours. Therefore patients with chronic diseases should take the drug more frequently and for a long time.
A tablet of Soma 350 mg will be enough during one-time muscle spasms as a result of the physical activity or action of other factors. The action of the drug begins within 15-30 minutes, and a muscle is relaxed, and you will not have any discomfort.
Soma is taken up to 4 times per day, in the dose of 350 mg during prolonged and severe muscle spasms. The tablets may be taken for a long time, up to a month. If the medicine is taken longer, it is better to find an alternative and replace a relaxant. In case of the prolonged use of one and the same drug, there is a risk of the tolerance development.
- Soma is not taken during gastro-intestinal bleedings. In general, patients with gastric ulcers and duodenum ulcer should take due care during the use of the drug. The treatment is stopped during the acute state of the disease
- Ulcer may become severe due to the use of Soma and NSAIDS. These medicines increase the action of each other, and therefore their use helps to remove pain and relax a muscle
- Do not take 2 or more muscle relaxants at once. If you started taking Soma, do not use other drugs influencing on the central nervous system. It may lead to serious side effects
- Do not consume alcohol and do not take stimulant of the central nervous system during the treatment. It is even better to refuse from coffee or products containing high level of caffeine
- Pregnant women are prohibited to take Soma
An overdose with Soma causes an intensive relaxation of the muscle tissue, partial loss of the motion, and symptoms in the central nervous system and cardiovascular system: low blood pressure, low frequency of the cardiac muscles, sleepiness, fatigue, lack of energy, vomiting, and others.
If one or several symptoms mentioned above bother you, lower a daily dose or stop the treatment for a while. Consult a physician.