Ventolin dilates bronchi, increases lumen in the respiratory tracts and relieves breathing in patients during the attacks of the bronchial asthma. It acts quickly, and therefore it is often used for the urgent reduce of the attacks and not for the basic treatment. The use of Ventolin effectively helps to maintain the functions of the lungs during chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
Ventolin contains Salbutamol. It is a selective agonist of β2-adrenoceptors. Stimulating β2—adrenoceptors, this ingredient dilates bronchi and blocks a release of the main transmitters of inflammation and spasms: histamine, leukotrienes, and other biological ingredients. Due to this, the attack of the bronchial asthma is reduced regardless of causes.
Ventolin has a short period of action, and therefore it does not work for the prevention of bronchospasms. Only in unusual cases, the drug is used for a prophylaxis: before physical activity, or before interaction with allergen. If the action of the irritating factors takes not more than 4-5 hours, Ventolin copes with its task and reduces a risk of the development of bronchospasm.
The drug interacts well with other products for the basic treatment of the bronchial asthma, and therefore patients are usually prescribed a comprehensive treatment.
Ventolin is released in the form of aerosol for a convenient application. Aerosol is used directly before the development of bronchospasm signs. It is enough to do 1-2 sprays, and a patient feels better in a minute and can breathe easily without any difficulties.
Such a fast action occurs only by means of a special medical form. Salbutamol is also produced in tablets but they act slower and do not do for the reduction of an acute bronchospasm.
If a patient is going to have physical activity or interact with allergen, it is necessary to do 1-2 sprays (doses) of Ventolin 15-20 minutes before it. It will help to feel comfortable.
- Do not use more than 2 doses (sprays) of aerosol at once
- Ventolin may be used just 4 times within a day. A minimal interval between the use of the drug should be at least 4 hours
- Some drugs for the treatment of the cardiovascular diseases are incompatible with Salbutamol. Therefore, if you are taking any medicines, read about their interaction with Ventolin
- Ventolin is not prescribed children under 2 years old and during lactation. If there are not alternatives, a breast-feeding woman should terminate the breast-feeding
- Patients with severe cardiological diseases may be contraindicated to take Ventolin as a bronchodilating product. Consult a cardiologist
An overdose may cause discomfort and also be very dangerous. In case of the overdose, acute bronchospasm often occurs, and a patient has asphyxia.
Moreover, there are many symptoms of intoxication, and in this case a medical aid is required: stenocardia, tachycardia, arrhythmia, dizziness, muscle spasms, and tremor. Do not neglect the symptoms of the overdose. A modern help of a doctor will prevent severe consequences.