Xanax is popularly accepted by many doctors as one of the best depressants. It contains an active ingredient Alprazolam that has an anti anxiety, sedative, anticonvulsive effect. Taking this ingredient, patients are able to inhibit fear, overexcitement, and reduce the symptoms of insomnia.
An antianxiety action is kept within a short period but the drug acts in an hour after the use of the first pill. Due to the increase of the daily dose, or a long-term treatment, a therapeutic effect grows.
In spite of the increase of a sedative and myorelaxing action, a patient does not lose a concentration and can have a normal life. Moreover, due to the improved focusing of the central nervous system, many patients have the improved attention during the treatment.
Xanax is prescribed for many disorders of the central nervous system caused by the increased agitation of neurons:
- Panic disorders (including panic attacks)
- Severe stress
- Insomnia associated with increased emotional or psychological stress
- Depression associated with changes in the functions of the central nervous system and the concentration of neurotransmitters in the brain
In order to get a correct dose of Xanax, it is not enough to know a form of the disease and its severity. It is required to have a medical examination, explore a medical chart, find out a sensation to Alprazolam.If a patient does not have time to do it, and a panic attack or anxiety must be reduced now, a standard daily dose is prescribed:
- To reduce a panic disorder, Xanax is prescribed in the dose of 0,5 mg 3 times per day
- If anxiety attacks, Xanax is taken in the dose of 1 mg 3 times per day
The dose is increased step by step depending on a therapeutic reaction to the treatment. The maximal daily dose of Xanax is 10 mg and is divided into 3-4 parts. The pills should be taken with the same interval in order to maintain a concentration of Alprazolam in the blood.
If insomnia, Xanax is taken in the dose of 1 mg 30 minutes before sleeping.
To reduce panic or stress, Xanax may be used for a short period – 3-7 days. In case of the treatment of the anxious or depressive disorder, a therapy may take up to 12 weeks.
- If the treatment takes more than 2 weeks, the therapy is stopped little by little. A general daily dose is reduced by 0,5-1 mg every 2-3 days. An abrupt termination of Xanax could cause side effects
- The use of Xanax is not allowed during the inhibited central nervous system: coma, alcohol/narcotic intoxication, maniac syndrome, and others
- Alcohol consumption, the use of antidepressants, narcotic analgesics, and sleeping pills are prohibited during the treatment
- Do not take Xanax during pregnancy
An overdose may appear during the use of 30-50 mg but every patient has a various threshold, and so do not take more than 10 mg per day, if your doctor did not give you other recommendations.
Obvious signs of the overdose are confusion, decrease of reflexes, coma, bradycardia, shortness of breath, or difficult breathing, low blood pressure. If any or several symptoms appeared, do a stomach lavage and see a doctor.