Zovirax is an antiviral product which effectively copes with herpes virus. The medicine does not affect other viral diseases but all types of herpes are quickly and easily treatable. Acyclovir is an active ingredient.
The ingredient fits into a viral DNA and prevents spreading of herpes through the nervous system. It is impossible to cure of herpes. This is a neurological disease that affects the nervous system and the symptoms may be only inhibited. The use of Zovirax helps to quickly reduce the symptoms of the disease outbreak and reduce the frequency of the relapses, for example, during genital herpes.
Zovirax is prescribed for the treatment of such diseases as genital herpes, labial herpes, chicken pox, and shingles. The medicine also helps to cope with herpes virus in patients with HIV.
Zovirax is produced in two medical forms: pills and ointment/gel for the external application. If labial herpes, ointments may be used avoiding the use of the pills. But sometimes it is necessary to use pills and ointments in order to quickly neutralize the virus symptoms.
A dosing of Zovirax also depends on form and severity of herpetic infection. For example, to treat infections caused by herpes simplex virus, a recommended dose of Zovirax is 200 mg 5 times per day (every 4 hours). A duration of the treatment is 5 days.
But to treat chickenpox and shingles, a recommended dose of Zovirax is 800 mg 5 times per day. Taking a minimal dose of 200 mg will not effectively influence on the viral DNA. So, it is very important to detect a type of the viral infection before the treatment and take the laboratory tests which will show a clinical pattern, and a doctor will prescribe the optimal dosing.
By the way, patients with immunodeficiency should take the dose of Zovirax by 2 times higher than it is indicated in the instruction.
- Patients with severe diseases of kidneys take Zovirax with due care
- In case of the chronic neurological diseases, the use of Zovirax may cause side effects. Therefore the drug is taken for a short period and in low doses. In case of the first side effects, go to a doctor
- Women during pregnancy may take Zovira. But if the pills are prescribed a breast-feeding woman, formula feeding should be used
- Zovirax is prescribed children at the age of over 3. The medicine is not given to babies under 3 years old
- Alcohol consumption is not recommended. The body has to have a good immunity in order to cope with virus, and alcohol lowers the protective functions of the body
Zovirax is not toxic even in high doses. It is medically proved that a risk of the overdose is low, and it mainly happens because of the high sensation to Acyclovir. In this case, a patient may have side effects such as shortness of breath, diarrhea, dysfunction of kidneys, agitation, confusion, hallucinations, seizures, and headache. The side effects have an average level of the intensity, and therefore a specific treatment is not required. A stomach lavage will do.